It was a good day today. This afternoon Bev and I were able to pick up a team of three who are here for 7-14 days of capturing what SP Liberia is all about on video! I look forward to the week ahead with these guys! (Plus they are all "techies" so I get to see some more 'toys'...)
The past three weeks in our Monrovia devotions we have been talking about the topic of marriage. Like the States, Liberia struggles with strong marriages, there are many people living together, couples that live far apart from each other for long periods of time, plus everything else that goes into what makes a marriage work. This morning Kendell decided to take it a different direction, and talk to a few of the single staff about what we have learned from the last three weeks on marriage. I was asked to be "vulnerable" in front of our group of 40-50 staff and talk about what it is like to be single. I was quite excited about this actually, because so often I can get this look of sympathy from people at home or Liberians who are married, because I am single.
But the fact is, I am perfectly content to be single.
It was a blessing to be able to share with our staff that because I am single, I can focus on my ministry, which is what God is calling me to do at this point in my life. I have a lot of married friends, and I believe that is what God has called them into, and most of them are raising God fearing children. For me, God has called me to be single.
In 1 Corinthians 7, Paul talks about continuing in the situation in which you were called. I was called to Liberia. I was called as a single person. It would make no sense for me to be in Liberia distracted by trying to hunt down a husband. My calling is to serve God and the people of Liberia at this point in my life. May that change sometime? Maybe, that is in God's hands.
When I was in college, someone told me that my role as a single person was to run as fast and hard towards Jesus as I possibly could. While running, if I happen to notice a person next to me who is running just as fast towards Jesus, then I should start paying attention-- maybe we could run together. But until I look over and see someone running beside me, my eyes are on Christ.
Right where they should be.
1 comment:
Amen! Love ya, Joni!! Keep on running!!
Post a Comment