Monday, February 14, 2011

Monday, February 14

Took the trip from Foya to Monrovia today, via UN chopper. The last 5-6 times have been quite enjoyable and smooth. Today... not so much!

This past friday, the UN chopper landed a bit too hard in Foya, resulting in one of the wheels breaking off, and the chopper leaning unhealthily to the side. Everyone was safe and sound, but not a landing you necessarily want to have!

Today, I was looking at that broken down chopper while I was waiting to get on board mine. As I boarded, I went towards the back, thinking that since there are only 6-7 of us, I could maybe find space to lay down and take a nap! As I headed in that direction, the attendant told me I had to sit in the front, because something wasn't right with the helicopter.

Great. Just the news I wanted to hear!

Let me tell you, that hour was the longest hour of my life (next to the flight to Kenya last October when we hit incredible turbulence)! Of course my senses were enhanced listening to every sound the chopper made as we dipped and turned more than usual. At one point, I had let my imagination run wild, and I'm looking out at the 3 Pakistani soldiers and 6 Jordanian soldiers sitting around me and i'm thinking, "Well... these could be the people I die with."

Not a good thought to have 1000 feet above the Liberian jungle.

I was incredibly thankful when we landed in Gbarnga! I decided that even though seeing Jesus today would be amazing... I didn't want to go today!

Leg number two from Gbarnga to Monrovia went much smoother.. but maybe it helped that I listened to praise and worship music the whole flight!

While leaving the airport in Monrovia, I walked outside with my little suitcase and motorbike helmet. I looked up to see Bev laughing at me in her vehicle. I wasn't sure why, so I asked her once I got into the vehicle. She stated it was very surreal to watch me walking out of the airport like nothing is out of the ordinary, and be followed by 16 other UN soldiers and UN police officers in their camo uniforms. (Imagine the scene in Armageddon, with the guys all walking towards the camera in their orange jumpsuits just coming from Mars... except insert me in front of them, leading the pack!)

There are many times in a week that I stop and think to myself, "Is this really my life?" Today was one of those days!

Happy to be safe and sound in Monrovia for a week before some more craziness begins!

3 comments:

Becky Bartlett said...

What an adventure! Glad you made it safe and sound! Happy Valentine's Day!!

Carey said...

Glad you made it safe!! I think you fit right into that picture btw! =)

Naomi said...

I remember those days on the chopper wondering "is that a normal noise?" :) Glad you're back safe and sound!