I want to tell you a little about my friend Jerry. Jerry works at our Foya base as "house" help. He is the first one at work in the morning before anyone gets up, and makes sure that we have water in the bathroom, clean dishes for breakfast, and to make sure everything else is ready for the day. Technically he only gets paid to come in on Saturday and Sundays, but there has never been a day that I have been in Foya that he has not been at the office hard at work, every single day of the week. We (as in the expats) all love the guy and appreciate all of his hard work!
Yesterday we found out that it was his birthday, so we were able to find someone in town that could help us by baking a cake for him. The cake was completed and delivered, complete with frosting that read "Happy Birthday Jerry!" We pulled Jerry inside to surprise him with the cake and to sing happy birthday- after we finished singing he replied, " I'm just so thankful to God for this surprise... this is only the second gift I've ever recieved in my life. So thank you sooo much for this gift."
We all stood there shocked that this sweet, hard working 21 year old has only recieved a birthday cake one other time in his life. Oh, the things we take for granted.
Thanks mom, for all the birthday celebrations you have made possible for me.
1 comment:
Hi Joni ~
We're in the midst of another blizzard and I was thinking of you. :) Hope the rain lets up so you can sleep in your tent without getting wet and I love that Obama hat, that's cute.
Jonathan and I are also lifting you up concerning your potential hires. We hope that God gives you the people that you need and that are willing to serve.
Have a great week!!
Post a Comment