Had a great relaxing Sunday today, topped off with two more CLP class visits this evening. On one side the the church the "Advanced" students were figuring out how many grams are in a kilogram, and how many kilograms are in a ton. On the other side the partition, the "beginner" participants, were figuring out which number is "5" and the difference between a "w" and a "p". I can't help but stand in awe at the difference in cultures that we come from. Many of the things they are learning, I don't even remember when I learned it, but I obviously have. For them, it is just the beginning of empowerment and self esteem that will help them in their future. One older woman in particular always makes my day. Her enthusiasm to learn and to come to class is contagious! She is the first to jump up to volunteer to do the problem or write the letters on the board, and she answers every question with enthusiasm.
Learning is hard work, but I admire these women for coming to class, even amidst of their heavy day to day work load.
After we returned from the classes, we decided to bypass rice for supper, and make spaghetti. Unfortunatly the west african weevils can get through anything, including a bag of elbow macaroni! We spent 30 minutes picking bugs out of the water as the noodles cooked... but I'm still not certain we got them all. I'm just pretending all the black spots in my spaghetti sauce is just seasoning... :) and boy was it good!
No comments:
Post a Comment