Saturday, January 22, 2011

Saturday, January 22

Traveled to Bopolu today, a three hour drive outside of Monrovia. I rarely mentally prepare for the roads on this trip because three hours seems so short compared to the other distances we travel. Unfortunately my stomach was not happy by the third hour, and I was ready to be out of the car and not bouncing around!

Was able to visit two of my CLP communities this evening- communities that are conducting the literacy classes by using their own resources! So exciting to see the determination in the participants faces to still make learning a priority.

With the upcoming presidential election in October, voter registration is ongoing. Piles of people are loaded in the back of pickups to travel to their home districts to register to vote. One particular woman in the literacy class proudly shared that as she stepped up to the desk to register, the man pointed to the box for where she was to place her thumbprint. Instead she replied, "I need a pen, please." For the first time in her life, she is able to sign her name on an official document!

1 comment:

Naomi said...

Awesome! I can hardly believe it's election year in Liberia again... 2005 doesn't seem all that long ago!