Thursday, May 28, 2009

Robertsport '09

Two weeks ago Thursday was a Liberian holiday. Since most of the time I have teams with me, I don't get to take these holidays off. BUT this time I had no team, and we planned a trip to Robertsport, just a little over 2 hours from Monrovia.

Robertsport has probably become the "vacation" spot for Liberia.. at least for aid workers. It is known for its waves- surfing waves that is. One of the top undiscovered spots for surfing in the world. What is nice about Robertsport, is that there are safari tents that are available to stay in, but you can also camp on the beach, free of charge. You are not obligated to spend the $100 per night if you don't want a tent. They do have a restaurant on the beach also, and you can even bring your own food if you want- again, no obligation to pay $13 a meal if you wish.

I first tried surfing when I was in Liberia in 2006. I really enjoyed it, became pretty brave and found myself getting pummeled by some really big waves in Monrovia. Ever since then I was too scared to go out again. This year though, a couple of us realized that we need to do something in order to keep us sane in this insane country. So, we took the boards back out and tried again. This time, I loved it!

So we loaded up our boards and 8 of us escaped for a couple days to the untouched paradise of Robertsport. Not a soul around to bother us on the beach. It was great!

You can see the safari tents in the background- two double beds, hard wood floors, two easy chairs and a fridge, with a view overlooking the ocean.

The current was SO strong the first day- when you got in the water and rode a wave, you were 500 feet down shore within 30 seconds. Thats a workout!


Are you sure you don't want to come for a visit? :)


The five girls that went- Emily, Taya, Bev, Janell and myself. The green board is my new surfboard! Everytime I take it out, Emily says, "ohhhh... such a pretty board!" LOL It makes me laugh. I figure if anything else, at least the board looks good. :)


Tay paddling to catch the wave!

Thinking about trying to get up...

Align Center
Getting there...


I paddled back out and the ocean went calm... as if I was on a lake...


But all of a sudden a very LARGE wave came right up behind me... in this photo I am literally yelling "holy moley!" becauase I know I have no where to go but with it!

But I was able to get up on this one- it wasn't as bad as it originally appeared.



At certain times of the day the waves in Robertsport can be 10-20 feet tall... I stay away from those with my rookie abilities... These are the "joni" sized waves :)


Bev and I waiting for the next set as a boat of fisherman go by.


Isaac following Mom and Aunty Joni with his boogie board.

All in all it was a fantastic getaway! Nothing beats surfing during the day, and eating with good friends by candlelight on the beach in Liberia.

I would personally like to thank the UK team for their departing gifts to allow us to take this much needed time off. Thank you plenty!!!!

1 comment:

Carey said...

Joni, you look AWESOME!!! Thanks for the pictures...gave me smiles, that's for sure!

Ok, now you finally gave me a better story than stepping on a toy..."I was surfing in Liberia..." LOL!